The Lead Hand / Carpenter will provide “hands on” constructing and overall site
management as necessary. The role will ensure compliance of all construction
drawings, specifications and health & safety regulations through continuous monitoring
of the ongoing project progression. The position also includes working with
Management to ensure planning and implementing of the project plan, determining
manpower needed and material quantities to ensure proper equipment and trades are
available when requested and required.
• Co-ordinate and execute the project plan / schedule on time and on budget.
• Control the delivery and storage of material on-site.
• Complete daily log (written) of activities on the jobsite.
• Understand the importance and complete daily progress reporting to
Management including changes to scheduling timelines or other project related
items (escalate delays or issues to scheduling to Management).
• Weekly comprehensive site review with Management (safety, progress) of
current and go forward targets and goals.
• Consult with Management regarding technical interplay (e.g. architectural,
structural, mechanical, plumbing).
• Effectively ensure the efficient use of labor, machines and materials used by the
• Manage on-site client communications and change request reporting to
• Manage administration activities on-time including submission of timecards
online, absences, H&S reporting, communicating inventory, tracking mileage on
• Reliably complete, verify and submit paperwork on Builder Trend such as daily
site logs, upload photos, schedule updates, delivery receipts and packing slips,
hours of service, subcontractors info, etc.
• Always be aware and inspect the quality of work of all staff and trades on-site.
• Responsible for managing qualify deficiencies and call backs as needed to
ensure completion of work.
• Follow and adhere to all health & safety protocols and policies.
• Resolve site problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and
overall quality of finished product.
• Perform job progress and completion punch list identification and completion.
• Must be dedicated to and willing to work both full time and on-call hours to
ensure deliverables are achieved.
• Secondary School Diploma or Degree or Certification in relevant field
• Must have extensive experience in residential construction (10+ years in Ontario
• Experience supervising people
• Strong senior level carpentry skills (Red Seal preferred)
• Hands-on experience working with various carpentry and construction materials
• Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods used in high end
residential construction projects
• Excellent ability to understand and interpret construction drawings and
specifications as well as technical documents and manuals
• Working knowledge of local rules, regulations and Ontario building codes
• Must understand and follow Health & Safety guidelines at all times
• Strong team player and contributor
• Must supply own basic hand tools
• Good knowledge of English
• Good physical condition and endurance
• Full Drivers licence
• First Aid
Accountability - High degree of integrity; responds to and follows through on
commitments; effectively communicates expectations; determines what needs to be
accomplished and holds others accountable for quality and performance
Adaptability - Responds to changing needs and conditions; alters working conditions
and assists others in order to get the job done; recognizes and responds to situations
with alternate solutions, tactics or approaches to reduce or eliminate issues; adjusts and
reprioritizes timeframes and deadlines
Communication - Ensures communication meets needs of various groups and adapts
communication to respond to audience so it is properly understood
Decision Making - Ability to make decisions on the fly and know when to consult with
the appropriate management staff.
Leadership - Ability to lead and evaluate trades performance is essential; ability to solve
problems efficiently and resolve any on site disputes between trades effectively
Planning and Organizing - Manages multiple priorities in an extremely busy environment
with tight deadlines and manage work/resources within project budget and schedule;
exceptional time management to prioritize activities and allocate resources effectively;
divides project(s) into manageable tasks with set deadlines in order to keep projects
moving forward; includes the right people in project(s) to ensure tasks are done
correctly; establishes priorities and identifies critical tasks that need to be handled
immediately; evaluates the progress of tasks, responsibilities, and projects against
schedule timeframes in order to stay on track; recognizes potential concerns or
opportunities, and makes necessary adjustments in order to respond to changing needs
Problem Solving - Responds to issues and develops solutions that fall within the
positional responsibilities, involving others as required; anticipates issues in advance
and be proactive in implementing solutions
Results Orientated - Must be willing to be a hands-on team leader, put in extra time and
effort when needed to ensure the goal is met; is persistent and responds well to
setbacks, continuously searching for solutions and results regardless of difficulty;
operates with high attention to detail
Teamwork - Communicates effectively; brings forward ideas and solutions, encourages
and motivates team regarding project process; commitment