Reporting to the Plant Manager and under limited supervision, the Production Manager is responsible for all manufacturing activities required to safely, efficiently and effectively meet production schedules while achieving adherence to performance standards, yield, labour, Food Safety, customer service levels and quality standards. Responsible for preparation, execution and on-time delivery of budgeted business plan results. Directly manage Line supervisors on shift and the associated employees.
The following list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties; rather they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job:
- Ensure the Company meets required standards of food safety, legality, regulatory compliance, efficiency, quality, yields, and our customer needs within a safe environment.
- Manage labor force under his/her direct report according to the best interests of the Company and with respect to the collective agreement.
- Work well with the functional departments, i.e. QA, Maintenance, Sanitation, Payroll, Inventory Control, Procurement, Finance, Product Innovation and work pro-active solutions to promote our best practices and improve our cost structure.
- Execute plans to ensure our Compliance with all Federal/Provincial Food Regulations, HACCP, GMP, BRC, Quality Assurance programs and Sanitation procedures, to reduce mechanical and production downtime, to optimize line efficiencies, overall productivity, execute line trials and obtain an excellent overall plant cleanliness.
- Coordinate/identify processing and packaging runs and adjust daily as required
- Ensure the completion of the production plan by overseeing and advising on the establishment of priorities, the revision of schedules and the resolution of problems.
- Provide active support for all health and safety initiatives and programs.
- Ensure regular occurrence of and participate in departmental meetings.
- Strive to continuously improve performance: employee relations, yields, production efficiencies, labour results, equipment, sanitation, personal job knowledge, etc.
- Responsible for the monitoring and reporting of the weekly indicator reports and period objectives.
- Assist in planning the annual plant wide operating Capital budgets.
- Develop, direct, manage, train, and motivate Supervisors and employees by communicating job expectations, appraising job results, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees in conjunction with the Human Resource department.
- Prepare and execute action plans to address changes to product mix, seasonal fluctuation to volume, production flow and production capacities.
- Provides input into matters on changes of food safety procedures, product quality and Quality Assurance related matters.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skill, Experience and Qualifications:
- Proven leadership, team building and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, co-workers and Managers.
- Strong verbal and written as well as effective communication skills to lead, motivate, coach, mentor and resolve employee conflict.
- Ability to accurately maintain detailed records.
- Strong safety focus.
- Have 3+ years related and/or Supervisory experience.
- Be able to work independently, as well as being a strong team player with good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Possession of Diploma or post-secondary education with Technical Certificate preferred.
- Intermediate Computer Skills in Microsoft Office (such as word, excel, outlook, charting and graphing).
- Experience in a meat processing is and asset.
- Be success-driven and have a “can do” attitude.
- Proven ability to administer safety and QA Programs.
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to take up additional duties and cross-train.
- Ability to assess and prioritize.
- Occasional overtime and ability to work different shifts may be required.