The City of Red Deer is currently recruiting for a Heavy Equipment Technician to fill a 12-month term position. This position is responsible for the diagnose, repair, estimate, overhaul and maintenance of a variety of vehicles, equipment, machines, and tools to provide such items in a good working order and a safe operating condition.
As our preferred candidate you will have:
- A minimum of Grade 11 and an Alberta Heavy Equipment Technician Certificate with an additional year of experience working with hydraulic systems and diesel injection engines similar to those ones owned by The City of Red Deer. (A high school diploma or equivalent is desirable.)
**Dual journeyman trade certificates in heavy equipment and light automotive repairs is desirable.**
- Additional courses in welding, metal stress and fatigue, air brakes, ABS brakes, hydraulics, computer components, electrical systems, and Government vehicle inspections.
- A valid Alberta Class three (3) Drivers’ License with Q endorsement.
- A full set of Mechanics tools as per Management's list.
- Knowledge of the principals and operation of the diesel and gasoline internal combustion engines, electrical systems for all vehicles and equipment and the ability to diagnose problems.
- Observe safety precautions, and handling procedures and techniques while working with hot engines, high pressure oils, fuels, gases, and dangerous chemicals.
- Knowledge of the operating and repair characteristics of a large and diverse fleet of vehicles.
- Knowledge of safety aspects and standard precautions. Must be willing to comply with all safety policies.
- Ability to read and understand complex electrical drawings, mechanical drawings, shop manuals and troubleshooting diagrams.
- Ability to perform accurate measurements and to complete complex calculations
- Knowledge and ability to work with the technological changes in the trade.
- Ability to skillfully operate computerized diagnostic tools for engines, transmissions, anti-lock brakes, hydraulic systems, body control modules, etc. and to follow proper testing procedures and/or troubleshooting to repair these systems efficiently.
- Ability to work in conditions, which are dirty, wet, and greasy, and be able to work outside in all types of weather.
- Ability to follow directions from repair manuals explicitly.
- Ability to work independently and to ensure quality completion of a project.
- Ability to communicate to the Parts Technician and Fleet Services Clerk clearly so the parts necessary for a job are ordered correctly and promptly so repair timelines can be accurately established.
- Ability to provide close attention when working with small parts of complex equipment and to use good eyesight and hearing for diagnosing problems and inspecting work.
- Ability to work in fatiguing or awkward positions, including considerable bending, standing and laying throughout the workday.
What we offer:
In addition to a competitive salary of $37.71 to $39.92, 80 hours biweekly; we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of likeminded professionals. If you like what you have read and think this is the job for you; come join The City of Red Deer. We are committed to a healthy, vibrant, and sustainable community. Our employees are the cornerstone of our organization and working with us will provide you with the opportunity to work in an ever-growing environment and to work with an awesome group of people.
Note: Dual ticketed candidates may be eligible to receive the GGMC rates.
We welcome applications until January 31, 2023 (or until a suitable candidate is found)