Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 40
Hourly Rate: $36.36 increasing to $37.86 upon completion of IMT Gas License or Gas Tech I Licence.
Considered Canada's most beautiful University, Western's main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style buildings mixed with modern LEED-certified capital structures providing an idyllic environment for our community of scholars. The university is located in London, Canada, a safe, vibrant and welcoming community of more than 350,000 people serving as a regional medical and industrial hub for southwestern Ontario.
Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, development, engineering, construction, operation, maintenance and stewardship of all the buildings, infrastructure, sites and services within Western’s campus community. Our integrated team provides excellence in creating and maintaining Western’s facilities and in serving the community. Our vision is to be recognized as the leader in facilities management among research intensive universities worldwide.
The HVAC Technician will perform skilled HVAC Technician work associated with refrigeration systems, air-conditioning systems, gas fired equipment, gas piping and associated equipment, components and other related processes.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
- Completion of Ontario College of Trades Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic (313A) Program (or Provincial/Territorial equivalent with Red Seal Endorsement (RSE))
- Completion of standardized Gas Technician (G2) training/courses as delivered by a Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) accredited training provider in accordance with the TSSA training profiles and curriculum
- Certified and registered Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic (313A) as recognized by the Ontario College of Trades (or Provincial/Territorial equivalent with Red Seal Endorsement)
- Certified and Registered Gas Technician 2 (G2) as recognized by Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA)
- Maintain an Ozone Depletion Prevention Certificate as recognized by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change or equivalent
- Maintain a valid Ontario Drivers’ License
- Maintain a current First Aid Certificate including CPR where required
- At least three years of construction and/or maintenance experience working as HVAC Technician in a large commercial, industrial or institutional setting
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic and Gas Technician 2
- In-depth understanding of tools, equipment, principles, materials, and terminology associated with Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic and Gas Technician 2
- Basic understanding of other positions within Facilities Management with which you interact
- Comprehensive knowledge in the current versions of all applicable legislation, regulations, codes and standards
- Comprehensive knowledge in the current version of the Technical Standards & Safety Authority B-52 & B149 Codes
- Ability to investigate, identify, analyze and document information in written or electronic form and resolve problems
- Ability to meet physical demands of the role including to lift and transport materials, bend, excavate, climb and reach repetitively
- Solid interpersonal skills to work well in a team environment as well as autonomously with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in confined spaces or in areas containing designated substances found within OH&S Act as required, with ability to perform tasks effectively in emergency situations
- Ability to interpret and work from electronic/written operation instruction sheets as well as mechanical electrical and geographical drawings/maps and produce quick-sketch working diagrams
- Comprehensive electronic, oral and written communication skills including ability to listen fully and respond courteously to instructions, questions and comments
- Dependable and co-operative disposition, with ability to establish a rapport with customer, leaders and peers
- Ability to interact with others in positive ways which develop mutual understanding, respect and productive relationships
- Organizational skills to order work materials, tools, and support staff in the shop and on the job site
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to qualified CUPE 2361 applicants.
Please note, successful applicants may be required to produce a current police information record check(s) from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to apply online referencing job #28567 by 11:59PM on December 8, 2022.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.