Job Designation: Licensed Mechanic – Transit
Department: Oakville Transit
Salary Range: $37.88 per hour (Probationary Rate)
$40.79 per hour (Full Time Rate)
Job Details: Permanent Full-Time (UNIFOR 1256)
Posting Status: Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants
Closing Date: Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca by no later than 11:59 PM on November 30, 2022
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, this position is being offered as a full time permanent staff compliment to the Transit Department (Maintenance Division). Duties will include but not be restricted to:
- Diagnoses and/or corrects problems with Cummins diesel engines and Allison and ZF automatic transmissions using computer diagnostic equipment and or maintenance manuals.
- Diagnose and repair IO, VBEA, and Vansco Multiplex wiring systems
- Diagnose and repair issues with brakes, steering and other bus components in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with approved procedures and practices.
- Perform routine services and MTO inspections; records readings, and repairs made.
- Lubricates, refuels, changes oil, services tires and batteries, etc., when assigned.
- Work is on a shift basis covering up to a 7-day per week operation.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must have a valid Truck & Coach Technician license and preferably a minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Experience with Webasto/Spheros auxiliary heaters would be an asset.
- Experience with urban transit bus exhaust after treatment would be an asset.
- Must have mobile HVAC experience and have a valid ODP (Ozone Depletion Prevention) card or successfully obtain card as a condition of employment.
- Must have a valid certificate to operate a fork lift, or successfully obtain as a condition of employment.
- Ability to read and understand heavy duty electrical (including multiplexing and ladder logic), airbrake and hydraulic schematics and systems.
- Must be a critical thinker with the ability to analyze, understand and diagnose multiple interconnected vehicle systems.
- Must have a strong working knowledge and understanding of the Ontario Highway Act (vehicle inspections) and NSC Standard 11.
- Ability to adapt and learn new technologies as the industry progress’s to zero emission vehicles (Battery Electric Bus).
- Must be resourceful and have initiative to work with little supervision.
- Must hold (or have the ability to obtain as a condition of employment) and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class C with a Z air brake endorsement with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) prior to assuming the position.
DATED: October 31, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of full vaccination in accordance with the town’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Procedure. Accommodation requests for new hires that are unable to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code, must be made in writing to the Human Resources department.
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. Applicants may also be required to undergo testing.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.